Leendert's blog

Leendert's blog

SharePoint and IRM Troubleshooting

SharePointPosted by Leendert Wed, May 14, 2014 14:31:07

I was asked to look at an IRM issue for one of our clients. When users were trying to open IRM protected document they received an error that the document could not be protected.

After analyzing the current setup and the standard TechNet documentation, I did not perform the installation of this farm, I started troubleshooting. The eventlog stated that the User did not have a valid email adres.

After checking the hidden user list (http://site/_catalogs/users/simple.aspx) I discovered that the user that I used for testing did not have an email address filled in. Second step that I checked is if the email was available in the user properties in the User Profile Service which lead to the same result.

The third step was looking for the AD sync setup which appeared to be installed, but it was not configured. After configuration and setting up an import connection (not a sync) users were able again to download IRM protected documents.

  • Comments(0)//blog.droogendijk.be/#post3

SQL Reporting Services 2012 and SharePoint 2010

SharePointPosted by Leendert Wed, April 03, 2013 10:00:39

I've set up a test farm to see how the SSRS 2012 performs with SharePoint 2010. The advantage of using the 2012 version instead of the 2008 is that the reporting services will be available through a service applcation. The insights on how to setup this service application will follow in the upcoming weeks

My testfarm has been configured so it has the 3-tiers on a seperate server so we can simulate scenarios where a person could experience some double hop issues.

During my testing I got an error message stating that "permissions granted to user are insufficient for performing this operation "

I checked my sharepoint logs and nothing in particulary popped up so i started troubleshooting the issue. In the end I found a post on MSDN that helped me out (link).

What it means is that the user is added twice to the user list. Removing one of them (in my case the one with the standard notation DOMAIN\User) resolved the issue.

  • Comments(0)//blog.droogendijk.be/#post2

SharePoint 2010 Workflows and CU December 2012

SharePointPosted by Leendert Tue, February 19, 2013 15:18:47

At our client we're migrating from 2007 to 2010. On top of that the 2010 environment is configured with claims based authentication and Nintex workflow is widely used throughout the farm.

In the testing phase we noticed that running workflows that were running during the migration were crashing. On advice of the Nintex guru (Mike Fitzmaurice) we waited with the switch to claims after the CU of december 2012.

In january we deployed the update on our dev server and migation server and all seemed well. After this step we deployed the CU to all the farms at the client.

After a few days a call was made to inform us that on a library on one of the farms the workflows which should launch on item creation was stuck in starting. First we thought this was due to Nintex because if you look in the sharepoint manager you'll see following custom eventreceivers:

So we logged a case at Nintex but while searching for other persons experiecing this issue I came accros this thread on msdn. I quickly tested if the error also occured with the SPD and OOB workflows and it did. A big difficulty was the ULS logs even on verboseEx didn't any information at all.

Next step was to log a case at microsoft. After some helpfull hints I build a farm with the CU of august and imported the faulty list. The error wasn't reproduced, I installed the december CU and again the error was showing up, in the hope of getting a quick fix with the CU of febrauri 2013 I installed that one too, but no it didn't solve the issue.

Microsoft provided us with some great feedback it was linked with the december 2012 CU. If you have a list/library with required fields. If you set these fields as non required the workflow starts as normal. The only exception here is the "Lines of text" field.

So if you don't need to switch to claims directly you might want to avoid updating to the CU of december 2012 or that one of februari 2013.

Update: the hotfix for this particular issue will be released with the June 2013 CU. But be aware, if you install the hotfix through the CU and apply SP2 of SharePoint these changes will be rolled back, so in order to have the hotfix applied again you'll have to install another CU again.

  • Comments(0)//blog.droogendijk.be/#post1

Remote Blob Storage

SharePointPosted by Leendert Fri, January 25, 2013 07:13:49

Yesterday I was asked by a client how much he could reduce the size of his content databases. I quickly googled to see if there was a query you could launch on the database to see how much space was consumed by the documents. I quickly stumbled upon a tool of metalogix which does that dirty work for you. It's called blobulator. It's not something you have to install on your server, just copy the files to one of your SharePoint server (there is a 2007 and a 2010 edition)

It gives you a nice table which you can then copy to your excel and calculate your overall gain.

  • Comments(0)//blog.droogendijk.be/#post0